When you think of therapy, what do you see? A therapist’s office, perhaps? A couch? A notepad and a pen? What if I told you that therapy can now be done entirely online? Online therapy is a growing industry that is changing the way we think about mental health. For those living with bipolar disorder, online therapy can be an invaluable resource.
In this blog post, we will explore how online therapy can help people living with bipolar disorder. From 24/7 access to care to lower costs, read on to learn more about how this type of therapy can help you or someone you know.
What is Bipolar Disorder?
A diagnosis of bipolar disorder can be overwhelming and scary. But with the right treatment, it is possible to live a full and productive life.
Bipolar disorder is a mental illness that causes extreme mood swings. These can range from periods of high energy and happiness (mania) to low periods of depression.
The exact cause of it is unknown, but it is thought to be caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. It is important to remember that this is not caused by personal weakness or a character flaw.
It usually starts in adolescence or early adulthood. For some people, the symptoms are mild and they may only have one or two episodes in their lifetime. For others, the symptoms are more severe and they may have several episodes over their lifetime.
There are three types of bipolar disorder:
Bipolar I disorder
This type is characterized by manic episodes that last for at least seven days, or by manic episodes that are so severe that hospitalization is necessary. Depressive episodes may also occur, but they are not as common as manic episodes.
Bipolar II disorder
This type is characterized by depressive episodes interspersed with hypomanic episodes (a less severe form of mania). Manic episodes do not occur with this type of bipolar disorder.
This type is characterized by periods of hypomania and depression that last for at least two years (one year in children and adolescents). However, the symptoms are not as severe as those seen in bipolar I or II disorder.
What are the Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?
The symptoms can be very severe and can cause problems with everyday life. Symptoms of bipolar disorder can include:
- Feeling very happy or ‘high’ for a long period of time.
- Feeling very angry, anxious or irritable.
- Having lots of energy and not being able to sleep.
- Talking quickly and thinking fast.
- Behaving recklessly or taking part in risky activities.
- Experiencing delusions or hallucinations.
How Can Online Therapy Help Those With Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is a mental illness that causes people to experience extreme changes in mood. These changes can range from feeling very happy and energized (known as mania) to feeling very sad and hopeless (known as depression).
While there are many treatment options available for bipolar disorder, mental health online services have become an increasingly popular option for those looking for help. Online therapy offers a convenient and confidential way to receive therapy from the comfort of your own home.
There are a number of ways that online therapy can help those with bipolar disorder.
First, online therapy can provide a safe space for you to share your thoughts and feelings without judgment.
Second, online therapy can help you to learn about your illness and how to manage your symptoms.
Third, online therapy can help you to develop healthy coping mechanisms for dealing with difficult times.
What Types of Online Therapy are Available?
People with bipolar disorder may experience periods of depression, followed by periods of mania or hypomania.
While there is no cure for it, it is possible to manage the symptoms with medication and therapy. Online therapy can be an effective treatment option for those with bipolar disorder.
There are several types of online therapy available for those with bipolar disorder.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is one type of online therapy that can help people manage their symptoms. CBT can help people identify negative thoughts and behaviors and replace them with more positive ones.
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) is another type of online therapy that can be effective for treating bipolar disorder. DBT focuses on helping people cope with emotions in a healthy way and teaching skills such as mindfulness and stress management.
- Interpersonal and social rhythm therapy (IPSRT) is another type of online therapy that can help people with bipolar disorder. IPSRT helps people stabilize their daily routines and improve their relationships.
How to Find an Online Therapist that Specializes in Bipolar Disorder?
If you are looking for an online therapist that specializes in bipolar disorder, there are a few things you can do to find the right fit for you. Here are a few tips:
- Talk to your doctor or mental health professional. They may be able to recommend a therapist or treatment program that offers online therapy.
- Look for online directories of therapists or treatment programs. The American Psychological Association (APA) has an online directory of therapists, and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has a directory of treatment programs.
- Once you have found a few potential therapists or programs, research them further to make sure they are reputable and offer what you are looking for in terms of treatment. You can read reviews from past patients, check out the therapist’s website, and even contact the therapist directly to ask questions about their experience treating bipolar disorder.
- Make sure you feel comfortable with the therapist or program before committing to anything. You should feel like you can trust the therapist and that they understand your needs. If you don’t feel comfortable, keep looking until you find someone who is a good fit for you.
If you live with bipolar disorder, online therapy can be an incredibly helpful way to manage your symptoms and get the support you need. With online therapy, you can access care from anywhere, at any time. You can also choose a therapist that you feel comfortable with and who specializes in bipolar disorder. Online therapy can help you learn how to cope with your symptoms, develop healthy coping mechanisms, and improve your overall quality of life.