When thinking about taking supplements, it is important to first understand what supplements are. Supplements are described as something that enhances or completes something else when added to it. Since we are talking about nutritional supplements, they are meant to enhance your health and overall wellbeing. You might ask yourself, why does my body need supplements? I get all the vitamins and nutrients from the food I eat. And, that is not completely true. Here are 7 reasons why it is important to take dietary supplements:
1. Filling the nutritional gap – most people do not get the necessary amount of nutrients from the food they eat. Most of us usually fail to meet the recommendations due to dieting, poor appetite, or changing nutritional needs. Supplementation is meant to fill that gap so that we can maintain the right balance of nutrients from the food we eat, as well as from supplementation. This will most likely increase the nutrients of your diet.
2. Nutrient absorption gets lower with age – as you get older, the absorption of nutrients becomes a problem, since your body does not have the same ability to break down and absorb the nutrients as they did in the past. The production of digestive enzymes that are responsible for this process naturally begins to decline as you age. In this case, supplements help restore the imbalance in your body.
3. Avoid harmful chemicals – chemicals found in our water supply, pesticides that are used for the food we eat, and environmental problems like pollution all increase our need for additional vitamins and minerals. These harmful chemicals create radicals that attack our immune, as well as our digestive system. According to Dr Natura, antioxidants help fight those free radicals.
4. Exercise increases the need for nutrients – if you are an athlete, you will require a lot of energy and nutrients to stay in shape. As you exercise, your body uses the energy that has been stored in your body. It is necessary to recharge these nutrients to fuel your energy levels, as well as promote recovery after working out. Vitamins, like the transdermal Vitamin B12, can help you improve the energy levels, as well as support your vision and concentration. What is also good is that they come in patches, so if you are a forgetful person, you will not have to worry about missing out on your daily dose of vitamins.
5. Poor eating habits – eating processed junk food, inconsistent eating habits, and stress all add to poor digestion, which results in hindering our bodies to extract the important nutrients from the food we eat. While supplementation cannot replace a poor diet, it can most certainly prevent damage that poor eating habits can cause.
6. Prevent expensive health problems – healthcare providers will always encourage people to prevent illnesses instead of treating them. If you take daily doses of supplements, get regular exercise, and schedule appointment with your doctor regularly, you and your doctor can prevent expensive health problems that might occur in the future.
7. Soil depletion – modern farming strategies and techniques use fertilizers that often deplete the soil and take away the essential nutrients from the plants growing from it. Fertile soil is an important element of agriculture for absorbing nutrients. Without this, the vegetables and fruits cannot get the necessary vitamins.
Supplements are a natural way of boosting our immune system and it is a cheap way of keeping ourselves healthy. They will provide antioxidants, help with oxidative stress, and our energy levels throughout the day. You can check best supplements for stress & anxiety here.